Travel insurance for the UK

Over half a million Australians visit the United Kingdom each year. Whether it’s crossing Abbey Road, exploring the mysterious Stonehenge, or rowing down the River Thames, the UK has no shortage of bucket-list activities.

The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, and each region has its own identity, attractions and potential challenges for travellers. While some areas of the UK might feel like a home away from home for many Australians, your holiday still needs research, preparation and comprehensive travel insurance.

Westminster Bridge at sunset, London, UK 

What am I insured for in the UK?

Our award-winning travel insurance offers affordable and comprehensive cover for your trip overseas. With our International Comprehensive travel insurance policy, you can be protected by a wide variety of benefits, generous policy limits and a supportive claims team. You’ll also gain access to our worldwide emergency assistance team, who are there to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Our International Comprehensive travel insurance includes cover for:

  • Unlimited medical and evacuation expenses that arise due to unexpected events while on your journey
  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits – increase your cover depending on the cost of your journey
  • Damaged or lost baggage
  • Personal items if they are stolen or damaged
  • Rental car excess should you have an accident
  • Emergency dental treatment
  • Funeral costs 

Do Australians need travel insurance for the UK?

Some Australians might assume that because of Australia’s close relationship with the UK, they don’t need travel insurance when visiting. However, while New Zealand Australia and the UK share a reciprocal health agreement, that provides limited medical cover for Australians in the UK, this doesn’t include protection for emergency dental care, flight cancellations caused by injury, medical evacuation, or any treatment from a medical provider that isn’t part of the National Health Service Scheme.

Unfortunately, medical emergencies aren’t the only thing that can spoil your holiday, which is why protecting yourself with comprehensive insurance is so important.

Pastel Coloured Town Houses overlooking the Harbour at Sunset. Tenby, Wales, UK. 

Does my insurance cover me for medical and hospital bills?

Whether it’s a slip and fall, a contaminated restaurant meal, or a bad bout of the flu, medical emergencies can be incredibly expensive. As well as the cost of medical treatment, you may need to pay for more spacious seats on the plane (to accommodate a broken leg, for example). Some injuries and illnesses might force you to extend your holiday, meaning you have to pay for extra accommodation and living expenses until you’re fit to fly.

We understand how upsetting medical emergencies can be while you’re on holiday, which is why our International Comprehensive travel insurance policy can cover you for unlimited medical and evacuation expenses that arise due to unexpected events while on your journey.


Am I covered for stolen or damaged valuables, like my phone, camera and laptop?

The UK can feel like a second home for many Australians, however that shouldn’t make them complacent with their valuables. Pickpocketing and petty theft is common in the UK. In fact, King’s Cross Station in London experiences over 200 cases of theft each year, and ‘moped muggings’ are becoming notorious in the city.

We understand how upsetting it can be to have your valuables stolen overseas, which is why our International Comprehensive travel insurance policy can cover you for loss, damage or theft to valuables that occurs from an unexpected event.

What is an ‘unexpected event’? Your policy defines an unexpected event as something that was unforeseeable, sudden, unintended and out of your control. You can read more about your cover under our International Comprehensive travel insurance policy in our Financial Services Guide and Product Disclosure Statement.

The Dunnottar Castle, Scotland in the United Kingdom 

Does my cover include flight cancellations and delays?

Whether it’s severe weather, volcanic ash clouds, or airline workers on strike, there are a number of ways your flight plans can be disrupted. For uninsured travellers, these disruptions can be costly and frustrating, especially when you need to extend your accommodation bookings.

Our International Comprehensive travel insurance policy includes travel interruption cover, that can insure you for the additional costs of accommodation, transport and meals if your travel is interrupted for more than 12 hours. If you’re attending a special event (e.g. a wedding or concert) and your travel is disrupted by an unexpected event, we may also cover alternative transport costs to get you there on time.


Am I insured if I rent a car in the UK?

Heading beyond the city centres in a rental car is a great way to explore the charming UK countryside. Raw coastline, rolling hills and rustic villages can all be easily reached in a rental car.

But before hitting the open road in a rental car, travellers should ensure that they’re covered for unexpected accidents under their insurance. If your rental vehicle is damaged or stolen due to an unexpected event, our rental vehicle excess cover can reimburse you for any non-refundable vehicle excess up to $5,000.

If you plan to hit the open road overseas, remember to:

  • Obey all local driving laws
  • Hire your vehicle from a licensed rental car agency
  • Comply with the terms of the rental vehicle agreement
  • Only drive on formed or paved roads and car parks
  • Don’t drink or drive under any circumstances

What you need to know

This page includes some information about our products but, as with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the relevant Financial Services Guide (FSG), Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Target Market Determination (TMD) to ensure our travel insurance products are right for you.  

You can find the relevant documents here: International Comprehensive, Annual Multi-trip, International Medical Only, Working Overseas, Domestic.

Need some help?

If you would like to get in touch, we’re here to help. Please feel free to email us at any time, or speak to one of our friendly insurance experts on 1800 196 484. Our office hours are Monday – Friday, 10am – 4pm (AEST).