Common claims questions answered

Travel insurance isn’t always easy to understand. But when the unexpected happens and you need to make a claim, it’s important that you know what is involved in the process.

In this article, we answer some of the most common claims questions asked by our customers, and provide advice on making a claim.

Making a claim

If the unexpected happens and you need to make a claim, there are a few things you will need to get started:

  • The details of the policy holder, including date of birth and email address
  • The policy number (which can be found on the Policy Certificate)

With these at the ready, visit our website and click ‘Make a claim’ in the top menu. Once you’ve logged in, we’ll ask you some questions to help us understand what happened and what you’re claiming for.

Once you’ve selected ‘Submit your claim’, you’ll receive an email notification from us within 24 hours to let you know that we’ve received your claim.


How long does it usually take for a claim to be processed?

When we email you to let you know that we’ve received your claim, we’ll also let you know roughly how long it will take to process your claim. No two claims are the same, and sometimes we need some additional information and supporting documents. If this is the case for your claim, we’ll get in touch with you.

During the claims process, can I save my progress and come back to it?

I’m afraid not, your claim needs to be completed in one session, which is why it’s important that you have all of the required information at the ready.

Can I make a claim from overseas?

Yes, you’re welcome to submit a claim while overseas. However, we will need to be able to email us scanned copies of supporting original documents and receipts for us to process your claim.


What documents do I need to provide when making a medical claim?

If you need to claim for medical expenses, you’ll need:

  • Copies of original receipts for all medical expenses.
  • Consultation notes or reports provided by the treating doctor.
  • A referral letter from a doctor if you needed specialist treatment.
  • A discharge summary, if you were treated at a hospital.
  • Your regular GP’s name and contact details, in case we need to contact them to check your medical history.

Click here for information on what you need to do if you have a medical emergency and need to be hospitalised overseas.


What documents do I need to provide when making a claim for delays, alterations and cancellations?

  • Proof of any refunds you received from a service provider (e.g. your airline, travel agent, cruise company, tour company, accommodation provider), and any correspondence that shows they declined to pay.
  • Proof of any airport/government tax refunds you may have received for unused flights, and any correspondence from the airline confirming that the flight costs are non-refundable.
  • Itineraries that show your original travel plans, as well as any new itineraries that show your updated travel plans.
  • Copies of original receipts for any payments you had to make as a result of the changes to your travel plans.

If you are making a claim for alterations and cancellations to your journey due to medical reasons:

  • Proof of the reason for the cancellation or alteration of your trip (e.g. a medical report or hospital discharge summary).
  • If you are overseas, confirmation from your overseas treating doctor confirming it was medically necessary for you to cut your journey short or you weren’t fit to fly.
  • Your regular GP’s name and contact details, in case we need to contact them to check your medical history.
  • If your journey needs to be cancelled because an immediate family member or travelling companion is ill, we’ll need to see all their necessary documents (e.g. medical reports, death certificates).

Under the terms of our policy, we define an immediate family member as: your spouse, fiancé, fiancée, parent, stepparent, sibling, child, stepchild, foster child, niece, nephew, grandparent, grandchild, parent-in-law, brother and sister-in-law, son and daughter-in-law.

Your Claims Assessor will let you know if there is any other information we need to process your claim.


What documents do I need to provide when making a claim for lost, stolen or damaged items?

  • Copies of original receipts that show that you owned the item and its value when you bought it (if possible).
  • If you don’t have an original receipt, we may consider bank statements, valuations or reprinted receipts from the store you bought it from.
  • A document from an appropriate authority confirming the event happened whilst you were overseas. For example, if you had your phone stolen from your bag, you'll need to report it to the local police or a relevant authority within 24 hours and get a written report. Or if your bags go missing at the airport or hotel, you’ll need a report from the lost luggage department.
  • If you’re claiming for damaged items, we’ll need a repair report from a suitable outlet where you can get the item repaired, including a repair quote. Make sure that you keep hold of the damaged item during the claims process.

If you’re making a claim for specified items, you’ll need to provide us with one of the following:

  • Copies of original receipts that show you purchased the items no more than 12 months before they were specified on your travel insurance policy; or
  • Copies of original receipts, and a current valuation that is dated no more than 12 months before they were specified on your travel insurance policy; or
  • Documents that show the item is specified on your domestic contents insurance policy, and a current valuation. The document must be dated no more than 12 months before they were specified on your travel insurance policy.


What documents do I need to provide when making a claim for rental vehicle excess?

  • Documents that show the registered drivers of the rental vehicle
  • Copy of your rental vehicle agreement, that shows the excess or deductible amount you are responsible for.
  • Written notification from the rental vehicle company showing the amount of excess withheld and confirmation of the repair cost.
  • Documents/bank statements to prove whether or not any refunds were given by the rental vehicle company.

For more information on rental vehicle claims click here.

The online claim form doesn’t seem to be working - what do I do?

You might be having trouble completing the online claim form if:

  • You’re mistyping your TravelCare policy number. Make sure you double check that you’re typing it correctly, and that you’re paying close attention to the combination of letters and numbers. For example, a number ‘0' can look similar to the letter ‘o’.
  • You’re entering a surname and date of birth that is different to the one you provided when you bought your policy.
  • You’re entering a different email address than the one you provided when you bought your policy.
  • When you bought your policy, you entered your surname followed by a space key. This means that your name was recorded in our system with an extra character on the end.

If you’re still having trouble completing the online claim form, please email us at and describe the issue you’re facing (providing screenshots where possible).

Once you’ve made a claim

What happens after I make a claim?

Once we’ve received your supporting documents, we’ll send you an email to let you know we’ve received your claim. We’ll also let you know when you can expect to hear from us next. If we need any more supporting information to assess your claim, we’ll be in touch.

What happens if my claim is accepted?

If your claim is accepted, we’ll send you an email with the details of the payments made. Please allow three business days for the payment to appear in your bank account. If we’ve paid a provider on your behalf, we’ll send you the details of that payment instead.

What could cause my claim to be delayed?

Sometimes we require further information from you or a third party (like a doctor, travel agent or the police) to process your claim. Your claim might be delayed until we receive this information, but don’t worry, we’ll keep you updated with progress along the way.

We receive more claims if a catastrophic event occurs (like an earthquake or volcanic eruption), which may result in a slight delay.


I’ve already submitted a claim online but need to send further receipts and documentation - what do I do?

If you need to send further documentation so we can process your claim, please re-print the privacy authorisation form you received when you submitted your claim and email it to us with copies of your additional documentation.

What are my options if my claim isn’t accepted?

If you’re unhappy with the result of your claim or any aspect of the insurance or service we provide, please let us know so we can help. To make a complaint, you can contact us by phone on 1800 196 484, or email us at

Alternatively, you can choose to have the matter reviewed independently by the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).. AFCA provide an independent complaint resolution service and their decisions are binding on us. For more information or to access the AFCA service, please call 1800 931 678, fax 03 9613 6399, email, or visit their website.

Questions about your cover

How much is the excess for this policy?

When you make an insurance claim, you may be required to pay an excess. The excess amount that applies for your policy was something you were able to decide on when purchasing your policy. It’s also shown on your Policy Certificate.

You can find all benefits and excess amounts of our TravelCare policy in the Product Disclosure Statement including Policy Wording.

Quick tips when making a claim

  • Check your Policy Certificate to make sure that the date of the incident falls within the start and finish dates of your policy.
  • Remember that receipts, booking confirmations, transport information and other travel documents are crucial during the claims process. Keep them organised!
  • Get into the habit of keeping receipts, especially for higher value items. This would make things much easier if you ever needed to make a claim.
  • When you’re ready to make a claim online, keep a copy of your Policy Wording and Policy Certificate on hand; you’ll need to access information from them during the claims process.
  • Double check that the details you’re submitting are correct and match the ones you provided when you bought your policy.


If you have a claims question that we haven’t answered here, please visit our FAQs centre or email us at

To learn more about the benefits of our TravelCare cover, and to decide whether it’s the right option for you, we recommend you read the Product Disclosure Statement including Policy Wording.


The content of this article is general and provided for information purposes only. Southern Cross Travel Insurance (SCTI) doesn’t guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness or currency of the articles.

This article may contain hyperlinks to other websites owned or operated by third parties, or references to third party products or services. SCTI isn’t responsible for, and makes no recommendation about the content or accuracy of any third party website, or for the suitability or performance of any product or service. The inclusion of a link in this article doesn’t imply that SCTI endorses the website or third party product/service.