Bank card, passport and travel document cover

Losing your passport, bank cards or other important travel documents overseas can be upsetting, frustrating and potentially costly. Whether it’s a stolen wallet containing your debit card, or a passport that is damaged beyond repair, it’s important that you stay calm and follow the necessary steps to replace the items.


Our cover for travel documents

If your passport or travel documents are lost, stolen or damaged due to an unexpected event, you’re covered for eligible claims up to $1,000 per person, with a maximum of $2,000 per family.


What to do when you lose your passport overseas

There are several important steps to take if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged while you’re travelling overseas, including:

  1. Report the loss to relevant authorities within 24 hours of discovery, where possible, so you can get a written report that proves the event took place. For example, if you had your passport stolen from your bag, you'll need to report it to the local police. Make sure you keep the written report to support your new passport application, and your insurance claim.
  2. Report the incident to a service provider immediately (like a hotel, tour operator or transport provider) if the loss happened whilst in their care. A claim must be lodged with them in the first instance. You’ll need to provide us with a written report from the service provider to show what they did or didn’t pay.
  3. Visit an Australian Embassy to report the loss and cancel your passport immediately. This can also be done online at the Australian Passport Office website.
  4. Complete an overseas passport application form and pay an application fee.
  5. Attend an interview and pay a lost/stolen passport fee.

For more information on the immediate steps you need to take when losing your passport overseas, visit the Australian Passport Office website.


What to do when you lose your bank card overseas

Just like when you lose your passport, you need to act quickly if you lose your debit, credit or other bank cards overseas. Depending on the circumstances, you may need to:

  • Carry out steps 1 and 2 in the ‘What to do when you lose your passport overseas’ list above.
  • Report your lost or stolen cards to your bank immediately. Ask them to cancel or place a temporary lock on your cards, so they cannot be used.
  • Organise an emergency replacement card and pay a processing and delivery fee.

There is a $100 excess that applies to claims for travel documents, passports and bank cards.


Need some help?

If you would like to get in touch, we’re here to help. Please feel free to email us at any time, or speak to one of our friendly insurance experts on 1800 196 484, Monday – Friday, 8.30am – 5.00pm AEST/AEDT.

When calling from overseas, our worldwide emergency assistance team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on +61 2 9191 1180.


What you need to know

This page provides a summary of the key terms only. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the Combined FSG and PDS.