Student travel insurance

Student travel insurance




Heading overseas in your younger years is an unforgettable experience. But with so much to plan and so much to look forward to, it’s easy to overlook one of the most important things to pack: travel insurance.

Whether you’re studying, volunteering, or just indulging in a well-earned gap year, you’ll need a great quality insurance policy to protect you from the unexpected.

Group of friends at the beach

Do students need travel insurance overseas?

Nothing can derail your trip like a broken arm, a lost passport or a cancelled flight, which is why every student heading overseas should purchase a comprehensive travel insurance policy. There are even countries you can’t enter without travel insurance.

Medicare won’t cover you for any medical accidents overseas, so it’s important that your policy includes significant medical and emergency benefits. Especially considering the extremely high cost of healthcare in countries like the USA and Thailand. Travellers in these countries have even been refused treatment without sufficient insurance!

But as every traveller knows, medical emergencies are far from the only risk when heading overseas. Pickpockets, scammers, cancelled flights and natural disasters can all turn your trip of a lifetime into one to forget, so when you shop for travel insurance, make sure you choose an option with a comprehensive range of benefits.

What does SCTI cover you for?

Our TravelCare policy provides students with comprehensive and affordable cover for their trips overseas. All of our TravelCare customers also gain access to our worldwide emergency assistance team, who are ready to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Our travel insurance covers you for:

Please read the Policy Wording for terms and conditions, sub-limits and exclusions.

Friends exploring a temple

What doesn’t your insurance cover?

When you shop around for travel insurance, make sure that you’re aware of the activities that aren't covered in your policy before you buy. Some high-risk activities won't be covered under your policy, and there will also be other rules to remember (like unattended luggage).

For example, our TravelCare policy doesn’t cover you for outdoor rock climbing, base jumping or kitesurfing. On the other hand, it does cover you for on-piste skiing and snowboarding, bungy jumping and windsurfing! As you can see, it’s important to understand what your insurance does and doesn’t cover.

A general rule to remember is that travel insurance is there to protect you from unexpected events, which is why most policies won’t cover you for:

  • Breaking the law
  • Being under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed drugs
  • Ignoring ‘Do not travel’ advisory warnings on
  • Loss, damage or theft of unattended luggage
  • Loss that happens because of an event that was predicted before you bought your policy
  • Pre-existing medical conditions that you don’t declare when buying your policy

What happens if you need to make a claim?

You’ve bought your travel insurance to protect yourself from unexpected events, so if you suffer an unexpected loss overseas, you should prepare to make a claim when you get home. There are a few things to remember when making a claim:

  1. First, make sure the incident happened within the start and finish dates on your policy
  2. Then make sure you have all the required documents to make a claim. These might include copies of your trip bookings, receipts of personal items, police reports for incidents, medical or hospital documents and proof of non-refund from providers like hotels.
  3. Once you’ve got all the information you need to make a claim, just head to our website and fill out our simple online form. The final step is posting your supporting documents to us. We’ll take it from there! You’ll receive an email confirmation once we receive your claims documents and we’ll keep you informed of how long it is likely to take to process your claim.

Students in a city

Tips for staying safe overseas

Ideally, your travel will go off without a hitch and you won’t need to claim for any lost phones, damaged laptops, cancelled flights or bumps and bruises. They best way to avoid setbacks like these is to brush up on your travel safety.

Our Travel Advice blog is brimming with insider tips on how to keep yourself and your valuables safe overseas. If you’re planning a university exchange, volunteering work or a backpacking adventure, we recommend you read up on:

Finding the right travel insurance policy for your student holiday is only a matter of research. Get an instant quote today to find out what your policy will cost.

TravelCare is issued by Southern Cross Benefits Limited ABN 99 133 401 939, AFS License 331058 trading as Southern Cross Travel Insurance ®. We are a signatory to the General Insurance Code of Practice and the Financial Ombudsmen Service (FOS) Australia.

As an Australian financial services licensee (AFSL), SCTI is authorised to deal in, and provide, general advice on travel insurance products. As we are unaware of your specific needs, financial objectives, and circumstances, we highly recommend you take time to read the Combined Financial Services Guide (FSG), Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), including Policy Wording before buying this product, to ensure that our travel insurance product is right for you.

Copyright © 2018 Southern Cross Benefits Limited